Consultant (field intensive)
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide consulting expertise, primarily in the field of inventory, condition assessment, operations and maintenance, and development of conceptual improvements for systems and components of district thermal systems, natural gas, water, wastewater, and electrical generation/distribution systems. Clients primarily consist of federal defense services and education campuses.
- In addition to providing client-driven solutions, consulting may support various Public Private Partnerships (PPP) and financing vehicles such as, Operations and Maintenance agreements, Power Purchase Agreements, Utility Energy Service Contracts, Energy Savings Performance Contracts, Intergovernmental Service Agreements, privatization, capital leasing, franchise/concession, or other service outsourcing.
- Typical engagements involve provision of technical expertise; the Consultant must demonstrate strength in technical assessment and development of budgetary requirements for improvement projects, and we would highly value an individual with demonstrated capabilities in both practice areas
- Support is needed for the following functions (in no particular order of importance):
- Engineering/technical assessments
- Utility operation and maintenance practices
- Utility construction practices
- Utility maintenance and construction cost estimation
- Evaluation of PPP transaction proposals from technical perspectives
- Assessments of operating equipment and components using standard engineering practices, including but not limited to thermography, audible and visual inspection
- Development of energy conservation measures
- Field data collection
- Support project management in scheduling, estimating and client relationships
- Compile data and produce technical reports
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in a relevant field.
- Degree desirable in Engineering (Electrical, Civil or Mechanical); relevant vocational training may substitute for some education or experience
- Ability to record and organize meticulous notes and documentation
- Writing and communication skills are critical to our business practice; writing samples and performance during interviews will be key evaluation factors for this position
- Must function well in a team environment and under occasionally tight deadlines
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings
- Travel required to client locations throughout the 50 states and internationally; must commit to the potential for an average of 30-50% travel
- Familiarity with operation and maintenance of utility and district energy components and systems
- Prior experience with education, Department of Defense, other Federal agencies, or state/local governments will be a distinguishing evaluation factor
- Detailed knowledge of safety requirements including confined space, high-heat working environments, lock-out/tag-out, industrial environments, arc flash, first aid and CPR
- Position requires US Citizenship
- Position requires a U.S. passport or the ability to obtain a U.S. passport within 90 days of employment
- Position requires ability to pass a background check for entry to US Military Installations
- Use of Microsoft Office software with emphasis on Excel
- CAD, GIS, and modeling software experience preferred
Essential Physical Functions:
Stand or sit – must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.Walk –this position requires the ability to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. – 25% of the time.Full range of motion to walk, stoop and stand while working on worksites – 25% of the time.Use hands/fingers – must be able to operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer – 50% of the time.Talk – This position frequently communicates with internal and external customers, must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations – 25% of the time.Vision – must be able to clearly focus on information located on a computer screen, paperwork, etc. – 50% of the time.Lift/Carry – must be able to lift/carry up to 30 lbs. of site equipment when necessary.